Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Cecil's Saturday Puzzle - June 7, 2008

Cecil's Saturday Puzzle - June 7, 2008 - Winnipeg Free Press

White to mate in 2 (Funk)

Once again, as is typical in these mate- in-2 problems, the Black king is stalemated at the moment.
How to apply a check ? I don't know, but I spotted a concentration of Black pieces covering the c5 square, which quickly checking a few moves, gives me an inspiration for a quick solution, 1. Rc5+, but it doesn't come close to working.
I keep on having a problem keeping an eye on both e5 and d4, as I want to deliver mate with one of the knights.

How about 1.Bc5 covering e5, threatening Nfe3 mate , and also setting up some deflections?
1...Rxc5 2. Rd7#
1...Bxc5 Qxc6#

1...e3 Bg2#
1...Ndxc5 2. Bc4#
(ah, that is what the white squared bishop is for !)

1...Qe1 or Qxf1 (to prevent Neg3 mate)
2. Qa2 #

That's it.



No comments: