Saturday, January 1, 2011

2011 Chess Goals / Resolutions

 Ok, it is that time again - time to state your 2011 Chess Goals,

Last year in this post, I stuck my neck out:

 New Year's Resolutions / Goals

and a few people in the comments also weighed in  - 

First, let's review how I did on my goals:

1. To achieve 2100 CFC rating  - Well, I started the year at 2036, got to 2040 and then later to 2036, but ended down at 1993.  Certain circumstances prevailed, such as directing most of the tournament, busy personal life, resulting in not playing a lot of games, and not studying much.2. To organize FIDE rated tournaments resulting in at least 8 new FIDE rated players for Manitoba - Well, I organized several tournaments, but I have no control over existing FIDE players playing or candidates playing well enough.  However, Schulz, Khedkar, and Lauritson got FIDE ratings, and several others are on the cusp.

How did some of the others do on their goals ?


Steve (de Groot, I assume) 

Goal 1:1900 rating  - made progress until being on the wrong end of a couple of upsets in the Shpan
Goal 2:Score at least +0 in the open section of the AY.- close - he scored 2-3

 Saul:

1. a clear 1st TNT victory - very tough to do this year.
2. To finish the year comfortably in 'A class' territory - 1804 is not comfortable.

We missed Saul in the latter half of the year.

Jonathon Zaczek - 

1. Study hard like I used to. At least every 2nd day if not every. - I assume he did

2. Reach 2200 in either CFC or FIDE.   - 2300 CFC !!!!!

3. Play in at least 4 out of town tournaments. Yes, he sure did -  Edmonton, Vegas, Moorhead, Warsaw.



 

 

6 comments:

Steven de Groot said...

Ending the year with such a poor performance was certainly not what I wanted.

I'll keep the same goals for this year, with 1 added:

Goal 1: 1900 CFC
Goal 2: +0 score in open AY
Goal 3: Defeat an opponent rated over 2000.

Unknown said...

I for one am disappointed that I didn't make any headway on my goals from last year.

Ah well.

Goals for this year:

Get to 2000 rating.
Win a TNT.
Beat a titled player!!! (came close!)
(Come on Lawrence Day!)

Anonymous said...

I'll be more ambitious this year.

-Become Manitoba Champion. The only tournament that I haven't won.

-Become a FIDE Master (or any other title is fine too) :P

Nikachu

Anonymous said...

Oh and I want to be the #1 CFC rated player in Manitoba

Nikachu

Charles "Alpha Lackey" Mousseau said...

Here were my goals for 2010:

Goal #1: return my play up to my previous rating (~1900 CFC)
Goal #2: Play in as many tournaments and be as involved as possible in the Winnipeg chess scene.
Goal #3: Score a 200+ point upset with one of my typical 'bad' openings.

I had a great chance at goal #1 by virtue of being paired up as a house player in the "big league" section of the Abe Yanofski memorial late in 2010, but I didn't deliver.

I'd like to think I've come true on #2, as I played in every tournament I could, and when I played in my first tournament in months, Aron Kapstan teased me for having my standard two-liter Diet Cola with me just like when we played at the Abe three months ago. When the grand old man of a local chess scene finds time to give you a ribbing about one of your trademarks accoutrements, I'd say that qualifies as being "part of the scene".

And although it came 12 days too late to make it into 2010, I did score a 350 point upset on January 11th, as Black, with d4 d5 / Nf3 Nc6!?, which I think still qualifies as "Chigorin-esque Terribad Queen Pawn Defense" (D04, so ECO tells me).

Unknown said...

Chuck already made good on his 200+ point upset with a bad opening. Chuck Mousseau 1742 DEF Les Mundwiler 2029.

That's a 267 rating point difference.

Cheers to good success Chuck!