Friday, March 18, 2011

Groningen 1946 - 1996 Reunion

Another great find by Gustavo Melamedoff ! ( He told me about it a few weeks ago)
For those that don't know what this is about, in 1946 a famous chess tournament was held in Groningen.
In a sensational result, Abe Yanofsky defeated Botvinnik in their individual game.
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Groningen_1946_chess_tournament

In 1996, the surviving participants met for a reunion.

If you are short of time I would refer you
1:30 - some shots of Yanofsky



Here you can see Yanofsky kibitzing at 12:45


Part 3 has some Yanofsky pics and footage from 3:30 to 9:00, and again at 13:00


Part 4 - focusing on Najdorf
Watch the speed of his analysis around the seven minute mark.  Not bad for an 86 year old.
Yanofsky poses for a group shot starting around 10:00

I thought I saw an interview with Yanofsky in one of these earlier, but know I can't seem to find it.
If you see it, please leave a comment.

No comments: